Food license registration
The most indispensable and fundamental necessity for everyone is food. It is, therefore, essential to recognize the importance of food and maintain its quality. As a result, there are various government organizations that have set upon stringent laws in order to make certain, that the food we devour is non-toxic and nourishing. In the year 2006, The Food Safety and Standards Bill were sanctioned. The rules of the Act were brought into effect from 5th of August, 2011.
Corporate Companies are supposed to follow rules and regulations of the new FSS Act. The Food dealers that are hired by corporations should be registered under the new FSS Act. In case of vendors who are likely to maneuver in a single state, wherein they need to be registered with the FDA of that particular State. However, vendors are required to register with the Central Food Safety Authority when they are actively functioning in more than one State.
- When Corporate Canteens allow cooking or manufacturing of food items in it, food license registration is mandatory for those Corporate Canteens.
- It is mandatory for any food manufacturer to prepare a Food Safety Management System Plan. The main agenda for this is to supervise the process of manufacture and determine the quality of the product. In addition, it is necessary to make an annual inspection of this plan along with its execution.
- It is necessary for all the food mechanized units to get a Potability test, which refers to the testing of the water In order to guarantee that the water utilized for cooking purpose is potable, this test is obligatory.
- An Internal Auditor is responsible to prepare frequent Audit Reports. However, monthly reports are prepared by a Food Safety Auditor. Additionally, it also demands a monthly preparation of food, water, and other safety related tests. In case any errors are spotted, the steps taken for rectification should also be documented. In conclusion, a complete documentation report should be prepared to be on the good side of the legal system.
What do we mean by FSSAI?
The Food Safety and Standards Association of India or FSSAI was recognized in 2008 and is a unit under the FSS Act, 2006. This body was set up to investigate and scrutinize the food safety and guidelines in India. The organization under which FSSAI was built is Ministry of Health and Family Affairs. The main agenda of FSSAI is to uphold the importance of safety and public health, by means of proper supervision of food security. FSSAI is headquartered in New Delhi. Additionally, there are regional offices in Chennai, Guwahati, Kolkata, Cochin, and Mumbai as well. A non-executive chair person not below the rank of the Secretary to the Government of India is appointed by the Central Government for this purpose.
Documents required for obtaining a food business license
Food Business Operators are demanded as per FSSAI guidelines to disclose the following documents who are applying for the central or state license:
- Firstly, the owner, partner or the official party needs to file a duly signed and completed Application Form-B.
- The outline or the blueprint of the desired area where the functioning of the business will take place.
- It is mandatory to submit the contact details along with the address of all the directors.
- All the equipment and machinery must be listed along with their names and the capacity of the manufacturing units.
- The address proofs authorized by the Government along with the photo ID.
- The number of food categories that are manufactured should be listed.
- The designated person chosen by the official person or manufacturer should have an authorization letter with his/her name mentioned there. This document is required.
- The water utilized in food product should be analyzed and a report is required. This analysis is to be done in a laboratory recognized by the government.
- A valid document is mandatory to prove the ownership of the food manufacturing unit such as rent agreement, electricity bill and so on.
- Documents such as memorandum & articles of association, partnership deed and other bestowed elements to maintain the constitution of the firm.
- Under the Co-operative Acts, the certificate that is acquired is required along with a copy of that certificate.
- Re- labelers need to submit an NOC attained from the manufacturer.
- Food Safety Management System plan is optional.
- The origin of milk collection centers and from where it is obtained has to be mentioned for milk products processing units.
- All the necessary source details of raw material for meat processing bodies.
- A report shall be prepared for the pesticide residues found in water. This is required from the manufacturer of packaged drinking water, mineral water. This analysis is to be conducted by a government recognized laboratory.
- The list of distributors of the product.
- A municipality or the local body and the State Pollution Control Board need to sanction NOC. This is, however, not needed for bodies developed in an industrial area for a specific food manufacturing purpose.
Advantage of the Food Safety & Standard Act
- All authorized and legislative bodies have access from a single point.
- FSSAI in all matters concerning to Food Safety and Standards, Regulations and Enforcement functions from a specific point.
- There lies a high amount of reliability from the consumer in reference to fineness & security of food products.
- The Licensing Authority authorizes a single license for a number of categories of food. In addition, only one license is required for distinct units or locations provided they are in the same confined area.
The security and safety of food are crucial all around the globe. Since food is one of the most basic amenities to survive, food manufacturing units should be careful that the manufactured food products that are consumed are properly checked and are fit for consumption. Hence, food manufacturing units should apply for a “food license registration” as the FSSAI demands every unit to obtain a license. Henceforth, before starting a food business it is necessary to have a proper idea of all food related Act.